The new transit exchange has been completed at the UBC Okanagan campus for use in September 2017. The project includes nine new bus bays and four bus layover stations, as well as transit shelters, transit lanes and cycling facilities. See a map of the new UBC Okanagan transit exchange with assigned bus bays.
Through the fall 2017, work will continue to add landscape, lighting and pedestrian safety measures along the north side of University Way opposite Alumni Avenue to prevent unsafe pedestrian crossings at this busy campus intersection, as well as new transit exchange lighting.
The new transit exchange project is the result of a partnership between the Government of Canada, Province of BC, UBC and the City of Kelowna. The new facility is part of the almost $160 million in federal and provincial funding for BC Transit projects that was announced in June. Information about the joint federal-provincial Public Transit Infrastructure Fund is available at http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/ptif-fitc-eng.php.
- September 2017 – The new campus transit exchange is completed and open for use. Final landscape, sidewalk, pedestrian safety and lighting installation work along portions of University Way and Alumni Avenue will be completed between September – November 2017.
- August 2017 – From August 14 to September 1 there will be construction detours on Alumni Avenue and University Way to allow for the construction of the new transit exchange, including the closure of the north-bound lane of Alumni Avenue to vehicular traffic north of Parking Lot J to University Way. Pedestrians, cyclists and drivers will need to adjust their travel routes and follow the provided detour signage during this period.
- May 2017 – Demolition work has begun within Parking Lot E to prepare for the Transit Exchange construction project. Parking Lot E users are advised that alternative parking may be accessed in any of the campus’s other parking lots during this closure period.
About the project, please contact:
Campus Planning, UBC Okanagan
(250) 807-8182 or email@example.com
About traffic changes or construction activity, please contact:
Facilities Management, UBC Okanagan
(250) 807-8313 or firstname.lastname@example.org