A major new public road construction project began in May 2017 on the west side of UBC Okanagan’s main campus.
Managed by BC’s Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure in partnership with the City of Kelowna, the John Hindle Drive extension project will construct a 1.6-km, two-lane public roadway connecting Highway 97 to Glenmore Road via UBC Okanagan’s west campus lands.
The project will also include construction of a multi-use paved pathway for pedestrians and cyclists from Glenmore Road to the Hollywood Road roundabout at Highway 97, and a new campus entry road connecting the west side of campus to John Hindle Drive.
Key Project Dates
- Project start and mobilization May 12, 2017
- John Hindle Drive construction (from west to east) May 16, 2017 to July 31, 2018
- Academy Way reconstruction Jun. 16, 2017 to Oct. 19, 2017
- Winter site shutdown Nov. 24, 2017 to Mar. 9, 2018
- John Hindle Drive construction from Academy Way to Hollywood Rd. Mar. 12, 2018 to Jun. 19, 2018
- Hollywood Rd. improvements (minor) May 7, 2018 to Jun. 12, 2018
- Upper Campus Way construction (new campus access road) May 1, 2018 to Jul. 31, 2018
- Project completion July 31, 2018
- September 8, 2017 – There will be intermittent periods of one-way traffic on John Hindle Drive between Hollywood Road and Alumni Avenue from Friday, September 8 to Saturday, September 16, to allow for road construction work. Traffic control signs and flag persons will be in place on Alumni Avenue and John Hindle Drive guiding motorists during this period.
- July 12, 2017 – A temporary route for walking and cycling from Academy Hill neighbourhood to the UBC Okanagan campus is now in place. The public is requested to respect signage and fencing installed to protect people from entering the active construction zone. This area presents many hazards including heavy equipment, trenches and steep slopes.
- July 4, 2017 – John Hindle Drive will be closed between Alumni Avenue and Academy Way on Tuesday, July 4 at 7am. This closure will be in effect until July 2018. Pedestrian and cyclists are advised to follow the temporary signage as a guide for safe access between Academy Hill residences / Aberdeen Hall School and the UBC Okanagan campus. Motorists are advised to plan an alternate route around the road closure via Highway 97.
- May 12, 2017 – The University has been notified that site preparation will begin. This will involve the installation of construction fencing and signage and the delivery of construction equipment. During this early stage of work the Curtis Road easement just west of the campus will be blocked. Pedestrians and cyclists will not be able to use that route.
For more information about the John Hindle Drive project, visit the:
- City of Kelowna’s project page:
- Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure’s project page:
For questions about campus traffic changes or road closures, please contact:
Facilities Management, UBC Okanagan
(250) 807-8313 or firstname.lastname@example.org