Discounted Transit Passes for UBC Okanagan Faculty and Staff
As a UBC Okanagan employee, you are eligible to enroll in the ProPASS Program to receive a reduced cost on adult monthly bus passes. Enroll online for a minimum of one four-month Pass Period. ProPASS is a program offered by BC Transit and their regional partners. UBCO has worked with the City of Kelowna to bring ProPASS to UBCO to support employees in choosing transit for their commute.
Enrolment for the Winter 2024 Pass Period is open December 1 until January 12, 2024
How to Enroll for ProPASS:
- Complete the online Enrolment and Payment Form (Opens December 1, 2023)
- Pick up your passes from the Parking Services Office by providing your ID and employee number (Please allow one business day between payment and pass pick up)
- Use transit during the Winter 2024 Pass Period to get to/from Campus and around Kelowna.
*Debit or exact cash payments accepted in person at the Parking Services Office
- Monthly transit passes for UBCO employees are offered at a 50% discount with ProPASS. This is a combined discount which includes a 35% UBCO Sustainable Transportation Subsidy and a 15% program discount through Kelowna Regional Transit. This means that with a UBCO ProPASS, the cost of transit passes is only $35/month whereas regular cost for adult monthly transit passes is $70/month (employees must enroll and pay for an entire four-month Pass Period).
- A main goal of the ProPASS Program is to reduce the number of vehicles being driven to and from campus daily by encouraging and incentivizing employees to use transit. UBCO has partnered with BC Transit and their regional partners to offer the ProPASS Program to UBC employees.
- BC Transit has also announced they will be launching a new electronic fare collection system, UMO, in British Columbia as early as Spring 2024. UBCO will be working closely with BC Transit and their regional partners on the modifications to the ProPASS Program to align with the new UMO system.
Enrolment will be open for the month prior to the start of each Pass Period:
- Enrolment Open December 1 – January 12 for the Winter Pass Period (January – April)
- Enrolment Open April 1 – 30 for the Summer Pass Period (May – August)
- Enrolment Open August 1 – 31 for the Fall Pass Period (September – December)
The total cost for the Pass Period is $140 ($35 per month) for UBCO faculty and staff. (Regular Monthly Adult Transit Pass – $70.00 per month – less 15% ProPASS Discount and 35% UBCO Sustainable Transportation Subsidy)
Complete the combined Enrollment and Payment Form and pay for your passes online by Credit Card. If you require an alternative payment method to pay for your passes, please visit the Parking Services Office in person to pay with Cash or Debit. Exact cash is required (no cash is held onsite).
No, you must commit to a full four-month Pass Period (example Summer: May – Aug). Once enrolment has closed at the start of each Pass Period, new participants must wait for enrolment to open for the next pass period (see dates above). Refunds will only be considered for staff/faculty who leave the employment of UBCO within the middle of a Pass Period and are issued at the discretion of BC Transit for unused monthly passes for future calendar months. For example, if an employee who has enrolled for the Summer Pass Period leaves the employment of UBCO anytime during the month of June, they may only be eligible for refunds for their unused July and August transit passes.
As a ProPASS participant you can purchase discounted transit passes for up to two adult family members who are living in your same household. Additional passes can only be requested through the ProPASS Program Enrolment and Payment Form and cannot be added mid Pass Period. Additional passes for family are only eligible for the 15% ProPASS Discount and cost $238 for each Pass Period ($59.50 X 4 months).
Monthly passes for Kelowna Regional Transit (including those purchased through UBCO’s ProPASS program) are accepted on the 90 UBCO/Vernon at no extra charge. However, these monthly passes cannot be used on other routes within the Vernon Regional Transit system.
Eligible groups may participate in ProPASS accessing the standard 15% discount of off regular monthly transit passes ($238 per Pass Period). At this time online/credit card payments are not available for Non-UBCO Employees, payments must be made with Cash or Debit. Eligible groups may include UBC SUO staff or student groups who are not eligible for UPASS. Contact email@example.com for more information or to determine if you are part of an eligible group before enrolling using the online form.
ProPASS is a program offered by BC Transit and their Regional Partners, and is administered through the City of Kelowna. UBCO facilitates the program in accordance with the processes, terms and conditions set by Kelowna Regional Transit. For any transit service disruption over 3 days in length, a pro-rated discount or refund will be applied.
Have any additional questions about the ProPASS Program, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org